This page is owned and maintained by Owosso Tractor Parts, official presenters of the Annual Mackinac Bridge Antique Tractor Crossing
2018 Buddy Rider Rules
(Updated June 29, 2018)
PLEASE READ ALL RULES PRIOR TO APPLYING FOR A BUDDY SEAT
ALL NEW BUDDY SEATS MUST BE REGISTERED NO LATER THAN JULY 15, 2018
**THERE IS NO REFUND FOR UNAPPROVED SEATS. WE STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU SUBMIT YOUR PICTURES PRIOR TO PAYING YOUR ENTRY FEE.
The Mackinac Bridge Authority (MBA) has given approval for Buddy Riders to participate in the Owosso Tractor Parts Antique Tractor Parade & Show 2018 / 11th Annual Mackinac Bridge Antique Tractor Crossing. A strict set of safety rules have been set in place. Each Buddy Rider must abide by these rules set forth by Owosso Tractor Parts and approved by the MBA. These rules must be agreed to by participating Buddy Riders, driver and club President.
BUDDY RIDER REQUIREMENTS
Each Buddy Rider must be at least 16 years or older to ride next to the driver in the parade on the tractor. Tractor driver must be 18 years old, as described in the event Rules and Regulations.
Buddy Riders aged 13-15 will be allowed to participate in the 2018 Crossing. These riders must be on a bench seat behind the driver. An adult (18+) must accompany the 13-15 year old's on the bench seat.
Each Buddy Rider must be a member of the respective participating club. Some clubs have family membership. Contact your club board to verify if family members are included on their club roster.
**IT IS UP TO THE CLUB WHETHER OR NOT THEY ACCEPT BUDDY RIDERS. SOME CLUBS MAY ALLOW 16+ BUT NOT 13-15 AND SOME MAY NOT ALLOW AT ALL. PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR CLUB BEFORE SIGNING UP.
BUDDY SEAT REQUIREMENTS
All Buddy Seats must be submitted to Owosso Tractor Parts and your club President at no later than July 1, 2018. Any modifications we request must be completed by August 15, 2018. If your seat has been approved a previous year and has not been modified in any way, you will not need to have it approved again. All Buddy Seats must follow the guidelines below:
A minimum of 4 photos of the seat mounted and bolted to the tractor must be sent to OTPE for approval. These can be mailed or emailed.
(Only use this for buddy rider photos and questions)
Owosso Tractor Parts
1003 S. Washington St.
Owosso MI 48867
PHOTOS MAILED WILL NOT BE RETURNED
1. All Buddy Rider seats must be secured to the tractor beside the driver if possible. No Buddy Rider will be directly behind the driver unless there is a safety bumper separate from the seat frame. No Buddy Rider will be ahead of the driver.
2. Seat must not be rusted out or welded up.
3. Tractor must have fenders to protect the Buddy Rider from the tractor tires.
4. There can be absolutely no interference to the driver’s ability to drive the tractor across the Mackinac Bridge or the entire parade route safely. This includes tractor steering, clutch, brakes, and vision of the driver. The driver must have full control of the tractor at all times. At no time will the Buddy Rider be allowed to have control of the tractor.
5. All tractors with rotating parts (i.e. brake drums) near the tractor’s operating station will be required to have guards covering these parts to protect Buddy Rider and driver.
6. Absolutely no Buddy Rider seats mounted directly to the rear straight drawbar only.
7. Buddy rider seat must be fixed, not using the hitch to lift up and down.
8. All seats must have a secure and safe back support for the rider. Even if the tractor may have a seat for a rider from the factory, it will still need to be approved by Owosso Tractor Parts.
9. A grab handle must be secured to the tractor for the Buddy Rider’s safety during the parade. Seat belt use is at the sole discretion of the Buddy Rider. Those using seat belts should read about the pros and cons of using a seat belt on a farm tractor. The http://nasdonline.org/document/940/d000778/use-tractors-with-rops-to-save-lives.html advises against the use of seat belts on a tractor unless the tractor is equipped with a ROPS (Roll Over Protection System). Visit the above website for more information. If a seat belt is used by the Buddy Rider, it must be installed securely and safely on the tractor.
10. OTPE and the MBA assume no liability for Buddy Riders, the tractor or the driver during this entire event.
11. All buddy rider seats must face forward.
12. Club officials have the right to deny any Buddy Rider or driver during this event
13. Owosso Tractor has the right to amend or modify these rules at its discretion
14. By signing the Participant Form, the Buddy Rider agrees to abide by the above rules. Failure to comply with these rules will disqualify the individual and the buddy rider from participating in the event.
OTPE and the MBA will be enforcing these rules prior to and during the event.
Comments or questions concerning the Buddy Rider Rules can be sent to email@example.com.